Seminar on Biosimilars & Competition Law
This seminar, which is co-organized Charles River Associates and Stibbe, will cover both legal and economic angles on Biosimilars & Competition Law. Tim Wilsdon and Raphaël De Coninck will be presenting.
Given the ever increasing economic significance of biologics and biosmilars in the pharmaceutical space – as well as signals from regulators that these activities will come into focus shortly – it is time to explore the implications of the competition rules for business behavior in this area. This includes a discussion of the following topics/questions:
- What can we expect from competition authorities in this space?
- To what extent do the competition law principles developed for synthetic drugs apply to the biological/biosimilar space?
- How does this play out in the context of life cycle management?
- What stance do authorities take in merger control cases involving biologics/biosimilars?
- What about pricing strategies? Is there more reason for concern following cases like Aspen (EU) and Pfizer (UK)?
Our intention is to go beyond scratching the surface on these topics in order to provide guidance for pharmaceutical companies in an area which we feel is receiving insufficient attention in the competition law domain.
For more information and to register, please send an email to: StibbeEvents@Stibbe.com.
A provisional program can be found below:
- 12:00 - 12:30: Registration
- 12:30 - 12:45: Keynote speech - Paul Csiszar, Director of "Basic Industries, Manufacturing and Agriculture", responsible for the Commission’s pharma unit
- 13:15 - 13:45: Industry trends in biologics & biosimilars - Tim Wilsdon, CRA Life Sciences
- 13:45 - 14:30: Biologics & biosmilars in EU merger control: current status and likely issues in the future - Rein Wesseling, Stibbe
- 14:30 - 15:00: Break
- 15:00 - 15:45: Competition law boundaries of life cycle management strategies: application to the biologics/biosimilars space - Floris ten Have, Stibbe
- 15:45 - 16:30: Pricing practices & antitrust: law and economics - Raphaël De Coninck, CRA EU Competition
- 16:30 - 16:45: Closing
- 16:45 - 17:30: Drinks