Mark E. Zmijewski
Mark E. Zmijewski (Zme - yev ‘-ski) is Professor Emeritus at The University of Chicago Booth School of Business. He previously held the Charles T. Horngren Professorship and the Leon Carroll Marshall Professorship in his 30-year career at the Booth. He has also been the Executive Director of the University of Chicago’s Center for Research in Security Prices. For more than 30 years, Professor Zmijewski has researched, taught, and consulted on financial economics, valuation, and accounting issues, presently working as a Senior Consultant to Charles River Associates. He consults on matters relating to valuation, financial analysis, various aspects of mergers and acquisitions, securities litigation, damages, bankruptcy, solvency, due diligence, interest rates, and revenue recognition. His expertise has been applied to many industry sectors, including computer hardware and software, credit card and credit card security, banking, securities, retail, airline, automobile, energy, and consumer products. He has consulted in antitrust matters regarding verification of merger efficiencies and competitiveness of pricing and rates of return.
Professor Zmijewski teaches courses in valuation, mergers and acquisitions, financial analysis, accounting, and entrepreneurship, and has been honored with teaching awards for his teaching in both the MBA and Executive MBA programs at Booth. Professor Zmijewski has published various articles in academic journals such as the Journal of Accounting Research and the Journal of Accounting and Economics, and won the American Accounting Association’s Competitive Manuscript Award. He has been an Associate Editor of The Accounting Review and on the Editorial Boards of both the Journal of Accounting Research and The Accounting Review. In addition, he is an ad hoc referee for nearly a dozen journals. He was Managing Director and Principal as well as a founding partner of Chicago Partners, LLC, and is a Senior Advisor to, and a member of, the Investment Committee at Patron Capital Partners (Funds IV and V), a private equity investment company with a focus on real estate related investments.
Professor Zmijewski has served as a consulting or testifying expert in the following types of matters:
• Business valuation and securities valuation (valuation of companies, divisions, segments, parts of companies, intangible assets and intellectual property, and securities)
• Securities litigation (class action lawsuits, 10b-5, section 11, section 12, ERISA, and insider trading)
• Mergers and acquisitions (appraisals and price disputes, merger synergies, and analyses of material adverse effects)
• Solvency and ability to pay (fraudulent conveyance, solvency assessment, ability to pay government fines)
• Antitrust (verification of merger efficiencies, failing firm defense, and financial analyses of alleged anticompetitive behavior)
• Commercial and shareholder disputes, including International Arbitration (e.g., measurement of damages accounting analysis, economic assessment of transactions)
PhD, Accounting, State University of New York at Buffalo
MBA, Accounting, State University of New York at Buffalo
BA, Accounting, State University of New York at Buffalo