In October 2022, in first case brought under the Illinois Biometric Information Privacy Act (BIPA) to go to trial, a federal jury awarded the plaintiff $228 million dollars against BNSF Railway, the operator of one of the largest freight railroad systems in the U.S.
This webinar will review the history of the BIPA statute and discuss the expected fallout from the Rogers v. BNSF verdict.
Topics to be covered include:
- Consent required under BIPA and how to document it
- Types of cases brought under BIPA and the current focus of the plaintiff’s bar
- Class certification defenses and recent opinions denying and certifying classes
- The use of expert witnesses in BIPA cases
- What companies can do to ensure compliance with BIPA and strengthen their defenses in the event of lawsuits
- The geographic expansion of “BIPA-like” claims under other states’ privacy and consumer deception laws
Peggy Daley, Vice President, Forensic Services at Charles River Associates
Cuyler Robinson, Vice President, Forensic Services at Charles River Associates
Stephen Broome, Data Privacy and Security Practice Co-Chair at Quinn Emanuel
Kaitlin Sheehan, Associate at Quinn Emanuel